Sunday, December 4, 2011

A fantastic article on tolerance

Hello everyone,

Every once in a great while, an article really hits home for me. This one definitely did. Take a look!

http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

It's getting a lot of buzz on the internet, and one of my friends posted it on his Facebook page. Please don't be put off by the title: it's not meant to be anti-gay, anti-Christian, or anti-anyone. I think it showcases very well the true meaning of tolerance.

Read the responses, too. Lots of people commented on this blog, and you can bet that the author got a lot of flack for posting it. The first and second "powerful responses" he lists will give you some idea. They are below:

http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/powerful-responses-to-im-christian-unless-youre-gay-blog.html

I admire and respect the author's courage for posting this article, and hope that you see the larger message beyond the words: Love everybody.

I know it's hard, people. We all have egos, opinions, biases, stereotypes and beliefs, and they get in the way all the time; I am as guilty of it as anyone. But what I found fantastic about this article is that it transcended the idea of religion or sexual preference in a way very few pieces I've read have been able to do. It's one thing to say  "[INSERT RELIGION HERE] says we shouldn't condemn others for being [INSERT DIFFERENCE HERE], and let's not do that anymore." It's more than that. "Love is amazing and should be the norm" is a message we can all get behind, I think.

I hope you enjoy it and pass it along to friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment