Monday, August 6, 2018

Saturn and the Nature of Authority, Part 2

Celestial Buddies Saturn Plush
Saturn Plushie from Amazon.com, a gift from my beloved wife!

So here are some Saturn examples from my own life. It's one thing to talk about these times, but it's another to cite different events that were occurring at that time.

While I can't remember much of my opening Saturn square at 7-8, around that time I recall I was in a class for academically talented students and my parents wanted to pull me out of it. I pushed back hard on that one and managed to stay in it until they cut the program.

Also, not long after that time, I started studying music, which my parents were not thrilled about either as they were concerned about my academic success. To their credit, they supported me nonetheless. 


Now until very recently--like when I wrote this blog a few days ago--I was convinced that music is about as non-Saturnian as you can get, and Saturn would see it as a frivolous, time-wasting activity that gets in the way of "real work." I was incorrect; I learned that many musical people are very Saturnian, especially those that work very hard and play music professionally since it requires time, practice, and another great Saturn word, discipline.

A special thanks to my astrology idol Chris Renstrom for providing some expertise and guidance on this topic!

As a side note, I often tell people my childhood was generally pretty boring. When I thought back on it, I spent a LOT of time between 7 and 20 playing music.

I had my first real date around my Saturn opposition at 15-16, and that was interesting dealing with managing my "social life", especially given that my first girlfriend was a daughter of my mom's old friend--there's a Saturn link for you! Saturn rules parents, but also anything old. And let me tell you, that was a weird few months; as a heavy Saturn guy, I was definitely a late bloomer.

I also lost my best friend Jeff around that time, too. He was a stubborn Taurus bastard but I loved him. He had muscular dystrophy and 
I never feel like I knew real sorrow until I found out he died. His passing reminded me of the hard Saturn lesson that we will all bow to him one day. 

Little did I know that just after this period, I'd get my first authority role as a manager at a local McDonald's. My dad had gotten me a job with one of his friends' companies, but it wasn't for me. So when he asked me, "What are you going to do...go work at McDonald's?", that's exactly what I did. I broke one Saturn connection but it ended up leading me to a different one.

At 21-22, I was in grad school and trying to pay for everything on my own while breaking away from my home and parental influence, as well as establish my own life and family structure with my (at the time) fiancee. This was my first "closing square" of Saturn, and it definitely had its challenges as I grew up.

At 28-29, the time of my Saturn return, I was working for a software company and got my first corporate "authority" role as a manager of a group of software instructors. I wasn't very happy in that job because two of my subordinates were--wait for it--OLDER than I was and thought they knew better. Not long after that, however, the company was re-structured through downsizing--there's another Saturn activity involving hierarchies!--and I lost my team. But I was still the Lead Instructor.

While I had a number of "authority" roles before I had my Saturn return, I definitely wasn't comfortable in them. Capricorn rising that I am, people kept trying to put me in them.

It took another Saturn square and opposition--14-15 years or so--until I finally became comfortable with the idea of being a leader three or four years ago.

I'd encourage you to look back at every 7-8 years and check out what was happening to you. You'd be surprised at how much influence Saturn had over you.

And I had to put that plushie up there because 1) my wife bought it for me and 2) Saturn will HATE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment