Thursday, July 29, 2021

Interview with Jupiter, Part 3


John: Life is a great teacher. And you are too, apparently.

Jupiter: I am. And don’t think I haven’t done my research on you, good sir.

John: I’m pretty much an open book, so what are you referring to?

Jupiter: I am seriously strong in your chart, sir. Jupiter in Sagittarius, baby! That’s one of the reasons you’re such a fantastic teacher.

John: I would agree. But this interview isn’t about me. For now, let’s focus on the idea that when it comes to both learning and teaching, you play a large role.

Jupiter: For certain! But I’m different from Mercury, who has a piece of the puzzle, if you will, in the learning and teaching realm.

John: Now we’re getting somewhere. Tell me how you’re different.

Jupiter: Well, he gets caught up in the details! For him, they are the most important thing. Accuracy, figures, correctness, and facts. When you learn that the capital of Missouri is…[thinks] Shit! What is it? Do you happen to know?

John: Jefferson City, as I recall.

Jupiter: Good for you! It’s one of those cities in Missouri; there’s millions of ‘em! Anyway, the point is that I don’t care really about that sort of thing. I’m looking more for “How to people in the Midwest view life as a whole? What’s important to them? What are their values?”

John: In other words, you take more of a global life view, rather than a specific one?

Jupiter: That’s a great way of putting it. I want to know what’s behind what people believe. What principles guide them? How did they come to learn them? That sort of thing.

John: It almost sounds like you’re talking about morality.

Jupiter: That is a part of what I do for sure. And for many people, their idea of morality comes from their spiritual beliefs. My purview includes religion, spirituality, or whatever you want to call it.

John: And in a more secular situation we could call that philosophy, right?

Jupiter: Some people would for sure. So you can take the religious angle, or you can go the secular route. Different worldviews are good! That’s how we learn. Nothing wrong with agnostics or athiests!

John: Speaking of worldviews, let’s talk about foreign lands. I know when I lived in France, I had a completely different view of the world than I do here in the United States.

Jupiter: Absolutely! When you go someplace different, the culture—attitudes, ideas, values, and all that—affects you. And it’s the fact that it is not what you’re used to that makes it amazing. People grow overseas. I bet you did.

John: Oh yeah. I went over there thinking “I’m not going to change like everyone says I will.”

Jupiter: [laughter] And how did that work out for you?

John: [smile] You know how it worked out. It’s a different culture. People there live differently. I saw things that I never expected. I came back a very different person, but a better one.

Jupiter: Yes, they do have a different way of life. They value more of their family time than they do here. They’re not so work-focused. They take their vacations seriously. All those cultural points of difference…that’s all me. Until it becomes normal. How long did it take for you to get used to hearing French all around you?

John: About three days. Then I settled in so well that when I went back home, hearing English was stressful for a few hours before I re-acclimated.

Jupiter: Culture shock is a thing! So now when you go to France or deal with French-speaking people, you know what to expect?

John: Yes.

Jupiter: That’s where my influence ends. Once the shock wears off, once you know what to expect, it’s no longer “foreign” and the other planet takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment