Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wisdom and the Bald Soprano

As a tarot reader, I have a specific job. It's to tell you what I see. Seems pretty straightforward, right?

I believe that the tarot gives you the message that you are supposed to hear at that moment; it is a "snapshot in time". So what I see is just that. No more and no less. 

As a client, you decide what to do with the information, and it is your decisions that make the future. What I say is just another opinion on the matter at hand, and it should be taken in that context. The fact that I uttered it doesn't mean it's going to happen; the information gives you a new perspective so you can move forward. 

When people say to me, "That's what I thought you'd say," after a reading, I'm always pleased. It means that your intuition is talking to you, and you used a reading to confirm it. That's one of the best uses of the tarot: To confirm what you are already feeling might happen. 

I start to get a little concerned when people feel the need to "debate" what I tell them. One client made a point of coming back to my table a little while after getting a reading and said, "I don't think you're right about what you told me at all." I was confused; I wasn't sure what she was expecting. The reading is what it is. So I ended up saying, "I understand." She asked for my perspective and she got it. My guess would be that she didn't like what I had to say. There's nothing I can do about that. My job isn't to tell people what they want to hear.  

The point of getting a reading is to gain wisdom, whatever it is, and then to decide what to do with it. If you decide that what I say is total crap, that's fine with me. My ego won't be bruised at all. Just take what I have to say in context of what's going on in your life and decide what's best for you.  Once I give you the message, presented as clearly and as compassionately as I can, I've done my job. 

There's this really bizarre French play called "The Bald Soprano". No, it's French, so of COURSE I'm not making it up. And yes, their names really are Smith. Anyway, in this extremely odd play, Mr. and Mrs. Smith are in their living room when there is a knock on the door. Mr. Smith goes to answer the door, and there is no one there. This sequence repeats itself two more times, and Mr. Smith finds no one at the door. So he and Mrs. Smith discuss the knocking.

Every time Mr. Smith has gone to the door, no one has been there. He now posits a theory that whenever there's a knock on the door, no one is EVER there. That's based on his experience of opening a door three times after a knock to find no one. Being French, Mrs. Smith takes up a contrary position, assuring Mr. Smith that every time someone knocks at the door, there is ALWAYS someone there. 

When there is a fourth knock at the door, Mrs. Smith goes to answer it. This time, lo and behold, there IS someone there, proving her theory that someone is always at the door when there's a knock. It's the fire chief, who decided that since it is raining and he won't have to work tonight, he would stop by to say hello to the Smiths.

Even though the arrival of the fire chief probably made your head explode and question why you chose to waste your time reading this blog, there is a definite message for us here: Wisdom is relative. Whether it comes from cards or crystal balls, your life experience, friends or family or fortune cookies, it's about what we DO with it that counts. Your decisions about what is wisdom and what is not really determine your future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment