Friday, September 28, 2012

Welcome to Libra, the Double-Edged Sword


Happy birthday wishes to all my Libra people, especially the Rev. Samantha Harvey. True to Libra form, Sam’s insights and her ability to see things from the perspective of others is a tremendous help to all of us seeking deeper spiritual wisdom. Another Libra trait that she embodies is loyalty; she stands up for people who are close to her.

The other edge of the Libra sword, however, is indecision. When you’re seeing the situation from so many different angles, it’s hard to make a call. So those born under the sign of the Scales need to learn to “balance” the need to be decisive with their uncanny ability to be fair to everyone.

In the tarot, Libra, the cardinal air sign, is represented in the Major Arcana by Justice, who, appropriately enough, is usually shown wielding a sword, the tarot’s air energy suit. This card represents fairness, justice, and the good and bad consequences of our decisions, better known as karma. What you put out into the universe does indeed come back to you eventually. I prefer the more archaic, “As ye reap, so shall ye sow,” or even the modern sentiment of, “What comes around goes around.”

What I find so fascinating about the tarot is that it’s so even-handed, very much like Libras are. It will tell us the straight truth, not just what we’d like to hear. And that’s why it takes courage to consult the tarot; you must be prepared for both the light and the dark, and to “own it”, as Sam would say. In other words, the tarot can be rather painful if you are not ready to take responsibility for your actions.  While I would never want to hurt anyone, I believe that the tarot gives you the message you’re supposed to hear.

In my tarot practice, I have a few standing rules, and they have to do with the ability of the client to accept responsibility for his/her actions. For example, unless I have the permission of a parent or guardian, I don’t read for people under 18. The teenage years are a time of selfishness and irresponsibility, and most minors are not ready for the hard truth that the tarot gives. When I do read for minors, I tread very carefully; they are changing so fast that it's important to be very measured.

A second rule that you might not be aware of is that I don’t read for anyone who says, “Only tell me the good things.” My response is, “Then you don’t want a tarot reading.” This is not to say that you won’t ever have a good tarot reading; that’s ridiculous. But I find that people who start off with a statement like the one above may consider the tarot to be a form of entertainment, a pleasant diversion, and as such may not be ready to hear the message they’re supposed to receive.  

If you read tarot for others, I suggest you follow these two rules. In this way, you’re being fair to the client and fair to yourself as a reader by protecting yourself from potentially upset parents and those adults not ready for the message yet.

I wish you a fair and balanced month in the Libra sun, and I hope to see you across my table soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment