Monday, May 6, 2013

The Misfortune Teller: An Introduction

Hello everyone! Recently I did a presentation for the DC Tarot Society entitled "Misfortune in the Tarot". It is about the importance of giving bad news with the cards when it shows up, and how to do so in a way that is honest yet compassionate. Since the lecture went well, I figured I'd give it a try here on Mondays for a while and see how you like it.

So this post is an introduction to that concept. Over time, I intend to post different cards up here and talk about their negative meanings and how they might come up in a reading. For today, however, this short post will only give you a taste of what is to come.

I believe wholeheartedly in the following statement:

If you don't want the truth, don't ask the tarot for the answer. 

I never, ever pressure anyone to get a reading, whether they're a paying client or a personal friend. The reason is simple: The tarot is remarkably even-handed about giving both good and bad news, and the client may not be ready to hear the message.

My point as a reader is only to give the message. That's it. I'm not there to judge the client, nor do I expect them to follow my guidance or counsel if I give any. All I'm doing is trying to help the client see what they might not otherwise, and honestly, that doesn't have anything to do with me personally. I'm just the messenger and I try not to get in the way of the message by allowing my own biases to take hold.

But when bad news comes, it is ESSENTIAL for you to tell the person you're reading for what you saw. Don't spin it to seem better than it is. Just tell them the truth.

One other important point for new readers is to know your limitations. If someone wants a reading about their health, for example, and that's not a topic you know much about, politely decline.

Finally, if you do have bad news, and the client wants to stop, then do what they say and put the cards away. They may not be ready to hear the message. So be compassionate enough to let them off the hook easily. Under no circumstances should you be using the tarot to give a message you're too afraid to deliver directly.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for tuning in! We'll have more misfortune next Monday. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment