Friday, October 6, 2017

A Total Solar Eclipse?

Moon: Sol, I need your notes for our next meeting. [PAUSE] This is the third time I've asked for them, and you told me you'd have them done today.

Sun: I'm just not feeling it, Luna. It seems like the earth has gone mad. It makes me heartsick to see everything that's going on.

Moon: Me too, Sol. But people look to you for leadership. You're up there shining every single day, whether your on center stage or behind the clouds. People take comfort in your presence. And clearly you're...off.

Sun: Some days I struggle to do my job. I go out there and shine down on a world that I don't recognize anymore and I don't know what to do about it. 

Moon: You are pretty powerful, but to be fair, there's nothing you can do about it except going out there. Life goes on...and it's because of you that those people have life at all. I know this sounds hoky, but what do you think hiding your light is going to do?

Sun: [irritated] That's just it, Luna! I don't KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Moon: [softly] You don't need to do anything except feel what you're going to feel, embrace it, and release it so you can move forward. It's going to take some time to do that, so during that time you need to make sure you're taking good care of yourself. Clearly, you're not doing that, so I took some steps. 

Sun: [looking up] Excuse me?

[knock on the Sun's office door]

Moon: Come in, Venus!

Venus: [opens door and enters] Good afternoon, Lady Moon, and to you, sir!

Moon: I had a feeling you might drop by, Venus. [Embraces her]. 

Sun: What exactly is going on here, ladies?

Venus: Lady Moon asked me to make some arrangements for you, sir. Looks like you're going away for a few days.

Sun: [looks at his online calendar] Wait...what happened to all my appointments for this week and next week?

Luna: I've taken the liberty of clearing it for you, sir. And you'll find that there are some new entries.

Sun: Yes, I'm seeing it. Why am I on a flight to Phoenix in...holy shit...about three hours? 

Luna: So you can take care of yourself and not worry about everyone else. You're not particularly good at that, you know. And the work is starting to wear on you. 

Sun: Hmmm. Sounds interesting, but I'd have liked to choose to go. 

Venus: I've made a few calls. You'll be very happy we took care of things once you get to the resort. [hands the Sun a folder]

Sun: [looks over paperwork] Hot rocks? They're going to pelt me with hot rocks? How is that relaxing?

Venus: It's a hot stone treatment, sir. Extremely relaxing. And you will have nothing to do except show up. They will take care of you. 

Moon: You need some pampering, Sol. And you're not good at asking for help.

Sun: But Luna, have you thought about...

Moon: [holds up one hand] Let me guess...you want to know if we can afford this, right?

Venus: Good call, Lady Moon. [to the Sun] Sir, they gave me special deals for everything. The money is not a problem. And no, your paperwork doesn't list the prices. My contacts would not want anyone knowing what fantastic discounts we got, so you got a copy without them.

Moon: Any other objections, Sol?

Sun: [SIGH] Well I guess I've got time to get my laptop and...wait a second. My computer is not working...diagnostics? What bullshit! We're not supposed to be running these during the day. Get Mercury on the phone!

Luna: Mercury has already been here, sir. He just can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. So you'd better leave it here so he can work on it. [winks at Venus] Besides, you won't need it anyway, although you can take your phone. You will find, however, that your work email won't arrive on your phone right now. That's a curious problem, but again, I'm sure once you return Mercury will be able to figure out what's up. 

[Mercury pokes his head into the office] 

Mercury: Sir, your Uber has arrived.

[Luna opens the closet and hands the Sun a suitcase]

Luna: Time to go, Sol. I guarantee you'll shine a lot brighter when you get back. I've packed you enough sunflower seeds to feed you for a month, as well as all your comfy clothes. 

Sun: I...I'm not sure about this, Luna. 

Luna: You will be when you get back. [gently] I don't want you miss your plane, Sol. Have a great trip!

Sun: [confused] Thanks...I think. 

Mercury: Come on, sir. I'll make sure you find your car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment