Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014: A Retrospective

So it's that time again. The holidaze are almost over. The presents have been purchased and given, or at least mostly, and everyone is taking the time to look back over another year. With Saturn likely enjoying his season at home and Jupiter probably recovering from his, I thought I'd take a quiet moment in a crowded sports bar to share some thoughts with you. 

First and foremost, if you're reading this, you're very lucky. Now don't get me wrong...not because I'm the greatest writer in the world. But if you have any device that can read this message, you're much better off than so many people. I think the tragedy for many charities is that they focus on this time of year, but people are in need year round. But the simple fact is that you're very fortunate. Sure, we'd all like more money, less stress, and more time to do the things we like, but having an attitude of gratitude is vital for us all. 

I know lots of people this year who have had more than their share of misfortune. Dealing with failing marriages, aging parents, and not being able to find work are the reality that many of us have faced. For me, I saw more of it than I personally experienced, which is good for me...but I hate watching people around me suffer. It can make you feel powerless. Sometimes the only thing you can do is be a good listener and try to help someone lighten their load, even if it's just for a little while. 

Also, how many times this year have you said, "If [INSERT PERSON HERE] would just do what I tell them to do..."? You need to be careful starting a sentence that way. Sometimes the last thing that people need to hear when they're in crisis mode, or anytime, actually, is unsolicited advice. If you're asked for your opinion, please fire away. But I think we focus too much on how we would choose to solve other people's problems. Unless your life is in really good shape your time would likely be more productively spent taking care of your own challenges. I've found that people want to "help" others deal with their problems as an escape, to avoid dealing with their own shit. This is not a trap that you want to fall into. I call it the "Mother Hen" syndrome, but both men and women are guilty of it. 

I feel like I've learned a lot this year, but I've struggled, too. I had my share of days when the world seemed like it was conspiring against me. I think back in March I had my biggest struggles with our fiasco of a move and everything that went with it. I think that probably had to be my "low", and luckily my beloved bride and my friends helped me get through it. In some ways 2014 was the Year of the Rant. I felt like I always could find something to scream about. Hopefully that trend will end in a few days. 

I'm hoping for the next year to make astrology a bigger part of my day to day life. I got a reading from a psychic that was extremely revealing, and that was one of her pieces of wisdom.

This coming fall, I'm planning to enroll in the Midwest School of Astrology to supplement my lessons with my astrology mentor. This school is set up just like a college...1 class a week for three hours, September to June, for three years. The scary fact is that my MA in French wasn't even that long. Anyway, it appears to be an intense program that comes highly recommended. This Scorpio is so ready for it. Once it's done, I will be able to sit for the ISAR, an international board certification in astrology, which will be vital to my future work as an astrologer. I've been thinking about this for a few years and it's time to do it. 

Closer to home, my students at the Tradition of the Witches Circle have had over four months off but in a few weeks it will be time to go back to work for ToWC 301. I'll be happy to be back in the classroom as well. 

I noticed I didn't do as many blog posts this year as last year. Consistency with this activity has never been a strong suit of mine. Unless a great news story catches my eye I try to do it a few times a month. 

One story that I didn't blog about is the guy who was told to take down his zombie natvity scene. I felt like this guy was being unfairly targeted, that if he had had a "traditional" creche the authorities would have left him alone. Not sure about that one, but I'll be following it into the new year to see if there are any developments. I can understand that people would be upset by this, just like people in Haverhill, MA, were upset when someone replaced the baby Jesus with a pig's head in a nativity scene there. But in the case of the zombie creche, that one was on his own property. SPOILER ALERT: He runs a haunted house, folks. You don't think he wanted any attention, do you? How does it feel to fuel someone else's business with your outrage? Oh well. Even if he has to take it down, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank next fall. 

Anyway, my New England Patriots have put in their backup quarterback and have given up this game, since they're already in the playoffs. That's my cue to end this entry. 

Thanks as always for reading my stuff. I'm always humbled and honored when people say they took the time to read what I've written. It's not Shakespeare but at least it's mine. :)

Best wishes for you and yours for 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment