Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Venus and Saturn Discuss Boundaries During the Holidaze


Venus: Hello everyone! So glad you could join us!

Saturn: Venus, this is a really busy time of year, so we shouldn't keep people too long. 

Venus: Of course, Saturn. That's what I planned on. And of course Mercury being back in the office is an added bonus!

Saturn: In this time of exceptional Jupiterian frivolity, Venus has a very important message for all of you.

Venus: That's right, Saturn. And that's why I asked the Sun to assign this blog to us both.

Saturn: I wondered how I drew this one. Well, no matter. I will gladly do my duty as expected.

Venus: But you didn't ask me why I asked you to be here. 

Saturn: Does it matter?

Venus: [smiling] It does, actually. You're a very important part of everyone's holiday season.

Saturn: Yes, of course I am. So many obligatory events!

Venus: Yes, that's certainly part of it. But you can also help people cope with the hustle and bustle of the season, too. 

Saturn: I'm not sure what you mean, Venus. I will certainly help if I can...

Venus: [chuckles] You dear man. One of your best attributes is your ability to establish and maintain solid boundaries. That's an essential way for people to take care of themselves. 

Saturn: I didn't think of it that way. But you're right, I suppose.

Venus: Let me ask you a question. What's the most annoying thing to you about this time of year?

Saturn: Well, that's easy. That expansive bastard--

Venus: [holds hand up] Let me stop you right there. You're better than that. I'd like you to begin that sentence again. 

Saturn: [pauses] Sorry. My esteemed colleague, perhaps?

Venus: Better! Carry on.

Saturn: As I was saying, Jupiter stirs everyone to the heights of craziness with more and more food, drink, spending and activity. What if people just want to sit in their homes and enjoy a more restrained, private celebratory attitude?

Venus: Thank you for making my point, good sir!

Saturn: [confused] Again, dear lady, I must confess that I'm in the dark. 

Venus: You are well known for your ability to set boundaries and people can use that to their advantage this holiday season by simply saying "No."

Saturn: Hmmmmm. That sounds good on paper, Venus, but people must be prepared to withstand the withering criticism I receive on a day-to-day basis with people who do not understand my function in their lives. 

Venus: I understand what you're saying, Saturn, and you're right: Some people might be upset if a person says no to their event, but in the end, every person must choose to take care of themselves. It saddens me that more people do not understand THAT fundamental concept in humans. 

Saturn: In other words, refusal to participate in a particular activity or travel to a certain destination on a given day should not be taken as a personal affront.

Venus: Correct, Saturn. And for people to keep harmony in themselves, they have the right--no, the obligation, to speak in your terms--to say no to any event or occasion that will cause them stress, financial hardship, or unpleasantness. 

Saturn: That's a very cogent argument. And may I add perhaps a corollary to your statement?

Venus: I'd be pleased if you would.

Saturn: [clears throat] I postulate that those who choose to participate in events should be cognizant of their boundaries when interacting with others, especially given the quantity of intoxicants imbibed around this time of year. 

Venus: I couldn't have said it any better, Ancient One. May I summarize?

Saturn: I'm sure our audience would appreciate that, Venus. 

Venus: The bottom line, good people, is simple: Do as little or as much as you want this holiday season. Do not feel obligated to join in if the event threatens your mental health, finances, or peaceful state of mind. If you choose to interact with others, please mind your manners and be respectful, especially with those who are out of sorts or do not agree with you. Being nasty just isn't worth it. And taking care of yourself also means being responsible with your alcohol intake.

Saturn: That's very well said, Venus. Thank you. Perhaps you'd like to do the annual shameless marketing blog with me this year? It's coming out any minute now. 

Venus: No, I couldn't possibly. Jupiter looks forward to doing that with you every year!

Saturn: [mouth open] Really? That adventurous bastard can't seem to stay on script at all and it drives me nuts. Not to mention that I find pandering for revenue distasteful in the extreme. [pauses] Did he REALLY say he enjoys working with me?

Venus: Well, good people, we've kept you for too long. Enjoy the holidaze!

No comments:

Post a Comment