Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ren's Day: Ren Visits with Mercury

[9:54am: Ren knocks on Mercury’s office door]

Ren: Mr. Mercury?

[Ren can hear someone talking on the other side of the door, but no one answers. Ren knocks again.]

Ren: Mr. Mercury?

[Still no answer. Ren turns the handle and opens the door into a sleek room. The furniture and fixtures are all modern in design, with stainless steel being a staple. The man on the other side of a stainless steel bureau looks like if he could, he would also be made with steel.]

Ren: Mr. Mercury?

[Ren taps the shoulder of the sleekly dressed man. He jumps in surprise.]

Mercury: Ahhhh! You scared me! Who are you?!

Ren: I’m sorry, Mr. Mercury. I did knock. My Name is Ren Armstrong. I have a 10:00am meeting with you?

Mercury: 10:00am? But it is only now just 9:55. You’re early!

Ren: I’m sorry. Do you want me to go back out and wait?

Mercury: No no no! what would be the point of that when you are already here? Please sit down.

[Ren takes a seat in one of the uncomfortable looking chairs.]

Mercury: So I took the liberty of checking your resume and your transcripts. Graduated with a B.A. in English with a focus in Creative Writing. Works for Amazon as a problem solver. Uses social media regularly...very amusing Gemini meme you shared this morning, by the way!

Ren: Thank you, sir.

Mercury: Now, what writing projects are you working on right now? Have you been sending your work out to publishers and literary magazines?

Ren: I haven’t been sending out any work, mainly because I haven’t been writing. I only just now started to get back into it by writing these blog posts for Johnny’s blog.

Mercury: You have got to stay active in your writing. Set yourself assignments every week and meet the deadlines you set for yourself. You can’t call yourself a writer if you don’t write. And when you do write, get it out there! Send it to every publisher you can. Promote it on every social media platform you’ve got, and even those you don’t have. I’ve got this great one, but it only works in Japan. Don’t ask me why.

[Ren stares at Mercury, shocked]

Mercury: Do you have a boyfriend?

Ren: Yes. 

Mercury: Well, I want you to commit to your writing like you do your job and the important people in your life. You need to get back to writing regularly. No excuses. You’ve got the education, you’ve got the degree, and you’ve got the talent. Don’t waste them.

[Mercury types something into his tablet. A ding goes off, and Mercury jumps.]

Mercury: Okay, I’ve sent Lady Moon an email and she has scheduled an appointment with Lady Venus for you next week.

Ren: Thank you very much, sir.

Mercury: Of course! Failing to plan, Ms. Armstrong, is planning to fail. 

Ren: Got it! Thank you again.


-->
[Ren leaves feeling somewhat confused as to what just happened, but fairly certain she got his message.]

No comments:

Post a Comment