Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Ren's Day: Ren's Welcome and Visit to the Sun

[Ren arrives in the Sun’s office suite]

Moon: You must be Ren! [stands up] John has told us so much about you! I’m Luna, and it’s a pleasure to meet you.

Ren: Good afternoon, Madame Moon. The pleasure is all mine. Is the big guy in?

Moon: He is, and he is waiting for you in his office.

[Moon shows Ren to The Sun’s office and she enters the warm, glowing room, covered in floor to ceiling mahogany bookshelves and matching furniture. The whole space is warm and illuminated in a soft golden afternoon glow.]

Sun: Ren, we meet at last! Please have a seat.

[Ren sits down in a large brown leather chair]

Sun: John brags about you all the time, so your reputation precedes you. What brings the Daughter of Mars in to see me today?

Ren: Well, sir, I was wondering if you could help me with something that's kind of important.

Sun: Absolutely, name it!

Ren: Why am I here? What is my purpose?

[The Sun chuckles, grinning from ear to ear]

Sun: Wow. You certainly cut to the chase, don’t you?

Ren: Why pussyfoot around?

[The Sun erupts into booming laughter]

Sun: Your reputation is well deserved. Mars does favor you indeed. So I have a question for you. If you’re a daughter of Mars, why did you choose to come see me first?

Ren: I thought I should start at the very beginning; it’s a very good place to start, don’t you think?

[The Sun chuckles]

Sun: Young lady, if I have that song in my head all day it’s your fault. And I do have an answer for you, but you’re not going to like it much.

Ren: I didn’t come all the way here to go home empty handed, sir. Try me!

Sun: There is not a doubt in my mind that you are Mars’ girl.

Ren: I’m serious, sir.

Sun: I know my dear, but I’m afraid I can’t tell you what you want to hear.

Ren: What do you mean? You don’t know?

Sun: I can’t just hand you the answers; that wouldn’t be fair to you, as I’d be depriving you a great journey and many lessons. Besides, you wouldn’t be who you needed to be to get there. Does that make sense?

Ren: Yeah, it does. I guess I was just hoping to at least get a hint in what direction I should be looking.

Sun: I think you should look in all directions; leave no shadow uninvestigated. There’s so much out there to choose from, so many fields you should look into. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find your answers in an unexpected place.

[The Sun leans back in his chair with a pensive look on his face. An idea seems to dawn on him.]

Sun: I’ve got a little assignment for you if you’d oblige me?

Ren: Anything!

Sun: I want you to go around and interview each of my colleagues and find out what it is they do and how they found their purpose. You might find it illuminating. Do you think you are up for the challenge?

Ren: I’m willing to try anything to find my direction.

Sun: Perfect! I’ll have Madame Moon set up an appointment with Mercury for next week. I look forward to hearing back from you as you go along.

[Ren looks uncertain]

Sun: Oh, no true daughter of Mars would go soft now. You’ve got this! They don’t bite...well, to be honest, Mars might.

[Both burst into laughter]

Sun: So, you’ll meet with Mercury next week?

Ren: What could it hurt?

Sun: Fantastic! And you’ll be catching him when he isn’t in retrograde, so you should have his full attention.

Ren: Sounds good!

Sun: Well, I’d say good luck, but I know you won’t need it.

Ren: Thank you, sir! I won’t let you down.

Sun: I know you won't, my dear. Give Mercury my warmest regards.

Ren: I will, sir. Thanks again!

Sun: My pleasure! Have a wonderful evening. I have some things to finish out here.

-->

2 comments: