Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Kitten

Ok, so you are probably aware that I am the proud father of three feline daughters. But I wasn't always a cat person. My family didn't have pets growing up, so I didn't really understand how awesome they were until I met my beloved bride.


I returned from France in the summer of 1992 and visited Jen at her home in Pennsylvania. We had been dating for only a few months and when I went into her room for the first time, she picked up this cat and deposited her in my arms. "This is Madison," she said. "Learn to love her or I will miss you very much." She laughed as she said it, but it was clear that cats would become a part of my life.


I couldn't have asked for a nicer gift. When Jen and I got married and moved in together, Madison of course moved with us. It took some adjustment on both of our parts. I had to keep looking down to make sure I wasn't running into her, and she had to put up with me not understanding what she wanted. It took me some time to learn to speak "cat". But she was an amazing creature who really taught me how special animals can be.


A few years later, I decided I wanted a cat of my own. Jen was thrilled, but she warned me that she couldn't describe the experience of a kitten. I was ready, so around Valentines Day of 1997, we brought home my little empress Josephine from the Grateful Paws Shelter; she was the best present I ever got.


I remember meeting her for the first time; she was in a room with like 13 foster brothers and sisters, and she was running around batting all of them, playing her heart out. I didn't know which one she was, but I turned to Jen and said, "I hope she's that black one!" Turns out I was right. And that little black kitten just stole my heart.




Jen was right; I didn't know what "kitten" was like. But Josephine was fast as lightning and she had a fantastic voice. We suspect she may be a Siamese or Burmese mix, and her vocal skills are pretty impressive. She often "sings" to her many toys at night or in the early morning, when she's playing and knows we can't see her do it.


I didn't find out until later that my kitten was born under Scorpio sun, which explains her intense desire to use her voice to explain to us what she wants, usually wet food. And of course, if I'm reading cards, she's sure to be around; she's a magickal cat, that one.


While I love kittens, I am very grateful to this beautiful cat, who will always be a kitten to me. You never really have one cat like your first, and I hope to have her around for quite a number of years yet.


Thanks for stopping by! Tune in tomorrow for my "L" post!

No comments:

Post a Comment