Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for Saturn


Hi there! If you've read my past blogs, then my inclusion of Saturn should be NO SURPRISE! Astrologically speaking, Saturn is a very important planet for me, so I've talked about him a few times. Most of the time I actually let him speak for himself, but not today; when I asked him to say a few words he decided that it would be too self-serving. :)

"Old Man" Saturn provides us helpful limitations in our lives, and gives us an understanding of hierarchy and structure in things--think "pecking order"--as well as self-discipline and common sense. Of course, he can also be a stodgy SOB as well and make us more uptight and repress our emotions. Saturn also rules our relationships with our fathers as well as other male authority figures.

Saturn rules the sign Capricorn. As a Capricorn moon and with Capricorn rising in my chart, I definitely have a lot of his influence. It took me quite a while to loosen up; as a child I was very reserved. Luckily in adulthood I have managed to mellow quite a bit. Saturn-ruled folks tend to get better with age. Capricorn rising is a great placement for long-term romantic partnerships, while Capricorn moon is tied for the worst moon position with Scorpio moon.

He is the Lord of Karma. He teaches some important lessons, and will often come to bite you on the ass if you take short cuts. One of his major lessons is that you must take life one step at a time. He's also the planet of obligation and responsibility. Saturn-ruled folks often have a very developed--or over-developed--sense of responsibility to others.

We get the word for "Saturday" from Saturn...looks like this blog fell on the perfect day. What is hilarious to me is that many people really go wild on Saturday nights, even though Saturn is our "be sensible" and "use common sense" planet. Is it because the "day" is over and now it's time to throw off Saturn's restraint?

The term "over the hill" actually comes from Saturn as well. It takes Saturn about 29.5 years to go through the entire Zodiac and return to the place it was in when you were born, so when you turn 30 you are "over the hill". Once you turn 60 you're over the hill again. Oftentimes these two birthdays mark very significant times in our lives, often when we take a hard look at our lives and our responsibilities.

Occupations and disciplines ruled by Saturn include:
  • Architect
  • Manual labor of any kind
  • Bricklayer
  • Plumber
  • Real estate
  • Security guard
  • Governments and their employees
  • Anyone who supervises or manages other people

I'm heading off on vacation but I'm finishing strong...and I'm using Saturn's influence to help me structure all of the remaining posts before I take off. Tune in Monday for my "T" post.

No comments:

Post a Comment