Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Querent

Hi there...if you're a fan of older tarot books, you may find the word "Querent" in them. This is an archaic term for "the person asking the question of the tarot" or "the person receiving the reading". These days, I don't use that term. I've switched over to "client", mainly because it sounds more professional, but also because it defines the relationship for me.

Anyway, in this post I wanted to take the opportunity to talk about what makes a great tarot querent/client. I've mentioned before what to look for in a reader, but I think it's important to let all of you know what I look for in a good client.

One important thing to keep in mind: A tarot reader can choose to read for you, or can choose NOT to read for you. We're not obligated in any way. It's extremely rare for me to refuse to read for someone; I think it's only happened once in my career so far.

Want to make your tarot reader happy? Here's how to do it:

1) Respect--Have respect for my cards and anything on mytable, as well as myspiritual path. It's best to ask before touching anything on a tarot table unless you are invited to do so. I don't mind at all if you put a drink on my table as long as you are careful with it. And if you're not a fan of witches, for example, I think you ought to find another reader since I am one and work in a witch shop. I've had occasions where people act like the store where I read is the ultimate evil and yet they still believe that I have some insight for them. Insult my religion, or my store or anything in it and you'll find that I will be disinclined to acquiesce to your request for a reading. (If you think it doesn't happen, you would have to wonder why I have to mention it.)

2) Pay attention--Take notes or record me. Both of those are fine. Don't post recordings online where other people can listen; they are for your ears only. Put your phone away and on vibrate, please.

3) Children--It's best to leave them at home when you have a reading unless someone else is taking care of them for that time. I have had clients whose children have picked up my credit card machine or other objects (like gemstones), crawled around at my feet, or talked over me. While I understand that children do those things, you should really consider not having them present unless they are old enough to take care of themselves (like teenagers). It's also good to have privacy when you are having a reading;  you may not want them to hear what I have to say to you.

4) Friends--If you want moral support, please feel free bring a friend. It is up to you if they are present for a reading, with the understanding that they are NOT to repeat what they hear to anyone without your express permission. Your friends should also understand that this is YOUR reading; they shouldn't be asking questions of me unless you give them leave to do so. And let's be clear: Your friends may make fantastic faces--oh yeah, and they DO in case you were wondering--but I'm focused on you. :)

5) Payment--Find out how much the reading will be before starting. Good readers should tell you in advance. Pay when the reading is over. Tipping is nice but NOT NECESSARY. If you choose to tip, the amount is up to you, and I graciously accept them. There's no real etiquette on this one.

6) Feedback--I like hearing how things went, so feel free to send me an email and let me know about how the reading came out. Did what we discussed happened? Somewhat? Not at all? I'm always interested in knowing if I'm on the mark.

7) Emotions--If you're tired, stressed, upset, or sick, you should really think about whether or not you want to pick up those cards. I promise that if I'm sick or otherwise unable to give you 100%, I won't read.

8) Emergencies--To me, there are no such things as "emergency tarot readings". If you have something that pressing in your life, I'm not the person you should be calling. I'll be honored to give you some guidance once things calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment