Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for Reversals

Hi everyone...today's post is about reversals in the tarot.

One of the many choices a tarot reader faces is whether or not to use reversals. Simply put, reversals are when a tarot deck is arranged with all the cards upright, and a card comes up the opposite direction, or "reversed". When the card comes up reversed, the meaning is the opposite of the standard meaning, or, in some cases, the card's energy doesn't come through fully.

Here's what I mean. Let's take a card like the Tower, which can be "shock and awe" in many different circumstances. If it comes up reversed, maybe it's the shock and awe of layoffs, but not as many people lose their jobs. Maybe it's the shocking revelation, but it turns out you really knew it was coming.

Before I continue, let me be clear: Reversals are a philosophical choice for each reader, but in the end, as long as you received the message you're supposed to get.

I chose not to use reversals early on in my tarot practice. I found that the cards have enough meaning on their own; there are 78 cards, each with their own palette of meanings. To double it to 156 seemed to be unnecessary, in my humble opinion. But again...you choose what's best for you!

Thanks for tuning in! Come back on Monday for my "S" post.

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting.
    I read your bio on the side, too, and you seem like the most fascinating person I have come across in this A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's very kind of you to say! Thanks for stopping in and good luck with the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete