Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Interview with Venus, Part 3



John: Venus, my readers need the whole truth. What is it exactly that you don’t want to say?

 

Venus: Well, generally speaking I view work as a…as a four-letter word.

 

John: [nods] Go on, please.

 

Venus: I’d really prefer not to have to do it at all.

 

John: Not work? [chuckles] I mean…wouldn’t we all prefer to not work?

 

Venus: [smiles] You’re right, John. That would be amazing.

 

John: Not realistic, but awesome, nonetheless.

 

Venus: Right. I’m about things that people want. No one WANTS to work, right?

 

John: Perhaps in your mind, Venus, that is true. But I know a few who actually enjoy it.

 

Venus: You don’t say? WOW. I guess it does take all kinds. But as far as actually doing things goes, I’m not a fan. It’s a lot easier when what you want is handed to you.

 

John: I can see how you would feel that way. But while we’re on the subject of challenges for you, I need to bring up something…potentially unpleasant.

 

Venus: [stares] If there’s no other way…

 

John: Everybody adores you, Venus. But we all have our faults. You mentioned not wanting to work, essentially saying you enjoy laziness. That took a lot of courage.  Now we also need to discuss the polite lie.

 

Venus: [exasperated] Oh…not that AGAIN? Do we really have to?

 

John: Unfortunately, we do.

 

Venus: That was an extremely unpleasant situation between Mercury and I this past year. I was just trying to be nice to Saturn and everything was taken out of context.

 

John: Can you recap what happened, briefly?

 

Venus: Well, I tried to tell Saturn that Jupiter looked forward to working with him, and it made Saturn happy, even though Jupiter really didn’t say that.

 

John: What did Jupiter actually say?

 

Venus: Nothing of the sort, really. But I thought it would do Saturn some good. He has a tendency to be a little bit gloomy and I expected it would cheer him up.

 

John: So, you…invented a pleasant story to make someone feel better. Does that sound correct?

 

Venus: John, you could make it sound a little less…nefarious.

 

John: I was going for neutral, Venus. But I’m not going to sugarcoat it, even if I am talking to the planet of sweetness.

 

Venus: [huffy] That’s so mean…why don’t you just tell everyone now about how I’m also the diabetes planet?

 

John: Well, medical astrologers do associate you with diabetes, but that’s way too far along for my audience. So, we’ll just stick with the basics. And technically, you just told them. I didn’t.

 

Venus: [sigh] I guess that’s fair. I didn’t think this interview would be unpleasant.

 

John: I’m trying hard to keep it honest, but I don’t want to disparage any planet, you included. [checks iPad notes] So let’s return to the polite lie. What is its purpose?

 

Venus: I don’t like it being called a lie.

 

John:  A pleasant fiction, then. Would that work?

 

Venus: I guess it would. [pauses] The truth hurts sometimes. And I never want to hurt anyone’s feelings. As such, I will occasionally bend the truth somewhat to make things more cordial. I prefer a win-win in all things, where everyone walks away happy.

 

John: I agree. Maybe we could use an example?

 

Venus: [nods] Let’s say you walk into a clothing store. You spend a lot of time picking out a few outfits to try on. Some fit better than others, but there’s one that really catches your eye. You think it might be a stretch, but the salesperson assures you it looks wonderful on you. Your day is made. You buy the outfit and take it home, and when you wear it for the first time, you do so with confidence. Happy ending for all!

 

John: On the surface that sounds good. But does the outfit actually look wonderful on me?

 

Venus: [shrugs shoulders] Maybe? Honestly, I don’t know. But the salesperson has embraced my energy and made you feel good about yourself.

 

John: Right. And the salesperson has made a sale, possibly on commission.

 

Venus: Maybe so.

 

John: I walk away with an outfit that might not actually look amazing on me, the store makes money, and I’ve convinced myself that it enhances me. Does that sound right?

 

Venus: Yes, that’s exactly it. So, in the end it really doesn’t matter, right, because when you wear those clothes out, you’ll feel confident!

 

John: [pauses] I see. And I have a much better idea of your perspective now.

Venus: You sound a little dissatisfied with my answer, John. [frowns] I’m sorry it didn’t please you.

 

John: You are who you are, Venus. It’s not up to me to agree or disagree. I’m here to talk about you and how you operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment